CreateSpace

CreateSpace
Books and Music

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

JUST SAY THANK YOU

Appreciation and gratitude are the highest vibration in the universe. When we feel appreciated we want to give more. At least I do. Appreciation gives us a sense of value which makes for healthy self-esteem. When someone compliments you it is a gift. Saying "thank you" is a gift of appreciation. It is the perfect exchange. Some people know this and accept compliments graciously. Some devalue the gift and then wonder why good things don't happen for them.
Yesterday at lunch my girlfriend gave me the idea for this blog. While making Thanksgiving dinner, she had only bought turkey breast and realized that there might not be enough meat for everyone so she added several chicken thighs to the pan the turkey was sitting in. She separated the white and dark meat before her company arrived. Her son, who is an excellent cook, said several times, "This is the best turkey I have ever had." Each time he did, Ann just said, "thank you." She didn't want him to know he was eating chicken for Thanksgiving! 
In an attempt to ease her mind I asked her, "Have you ever told someone you liked their outfit and then they told you they paid two bucks for it at a garage sale or bought it at Walmart? All of a sudden they go from classy to cheap. If they had just said thank you..."
Ann had another story. "I gave my niece a blanket that I bought at a church fair. She sent me a beautiful long letter of how she appreciated the work and the love that went into the blanket. It was so thoughtful and nice I just let her think I made it." 
Sometimes silence is golden.
I told her about complimenting a friend's hairstyle. "You look so elegant with your hair pulled up that way." She told me her hair was filthy and it was all she could really do with it. The rest of the day, every time I saw her I just thought stinky hair.
When someone compliments you, just say "thank you." You don't have to tell them your secrets. Of course there are exceptions, but revealing the truth isn't always the best option. Ann's son is happier thinking he ate turkey at Thanksgiving and her niece feels warm and fuzzy thinking the blanket was made by her.
If you buy something nice at a garage sale for $2 wear it as if you bought it at Nieman Marcus. "Thank you," isn't lying. In Hollywood they call it "smoke and mirrors." The movie It's a Beautiful Life was all about a father creating illusions for his son in a concentration camp by making him believe it was all a game. What's wrong with that?
As for me...I still believe in Santa Claus. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment